Monday, May 9, 2016

My Sunday School teacher said we should offer petitions to God. I thought a petition was something you gathered names on and took to the mayor so you could get something done. I didn't want her to think I was being a smart alec, so I didn't say anything. But what did she mean? - Fred

    Dear Fred,  
     Never be embarrassed to ask a question!  If you have that question, probably someone else had the same question!  You can always just say, "What do you mean?"
     
     But, I am glad you had enough courage to ask me!   You are right.  A petition is a formal request, a plea, an asking for something, an appeal. Petition prayer is a little bit more than that.  It is a crying out to God, usually through a spontaneous prayer, which expresses a desire.   Petition prayer is what St. Paul calls “groaning” from the depth of our being.  Holy Spirit helps us with this type of prayer.  Many times, the first movement of petition prayer is asking for forgiveness.

     An example of a Petition prayer asking for forgiveness is, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner!”

·        That said, we recognize that we offer “petitions” at Mass. Those are called intercessory petitions.  During those petitions, we may ask something of God for another person.
·        During Intercessory petitions we may even thank Him for things.   There are no boundaries for petition prayers.  We can offer them up for all people.

Examples of an intercessory petition are:  “Lord, I ask that my child will turn back to you in faith,” “God, please help Marie heal as she grieves the loss of her husband,” “Lord, we ask that you turn the hearts of the members of ISIS to You, the One True God,” “May we trust in You, Lord as we travel our journey every day.” :Lord, please help me remember what I studied when I take my history test."

·        Petitions may also offer up Thanksgiving or Praise.

Examples of petitions of praise &/or thanksgiving are:  “Thank You, God for the wonderful day today.” “Thank You, Lord for good friends.” “Lord, God You are an awesome God!”
 “God, we glorify Your Holy name.”
           
·        At Mass the lector offers up a petition then says, “Let us pray to the Lord,” 
·        Then we respond, “Lord, hear our prayer.”   

     If you would like to learn more about this type of prayer, the Catechism of the Catholic Church has a section regarding the various Prayers of Petition:  CCC 2629 -2645. 

    Thanks for your question - and good luck praying! 


No comments:

Post a Comment